1.23.2009

Papa Parry



My Dad helped me buy a kitchen set for Maggie as her big christmas present.  
I'm obsessed with it... and so is Mags.
Thanks Papa!


I just want to write a little something about finding this kitchen set.  I guess it was sold at Costco two Christmases ago and was pretty popular, so popular in fact that it's actually back ordered until Feb. of this year.  So unless you already had one, you'd have to wait until Feb. to get one or find one on ebay or craigslist.  I checked ebay first and they were being sold for almost double the normal price (good 'ol supply and demand).  I then checked craigslist, but there was nothing.  I decided that I'd just keep checking periodically and just see if I came upon one.  One morning I was browsing when I found one for sale... it was used, but they were still asking the original price, I emailed and said that I was interested, but not long after, I got a response saying that they'd been overwhelmed with responses and it was sold.  
I was suddenly becoming obsessed with getting this kitchen.  
A week or so later, I checked again, and there were two posted, one was double the price and one was half the price.  I emailed the people asking half the price and mentioned that I have a little girl that it would be perfect for.  About an hour later I received a response and they told me that if I could come to Oakland that evening and pick it up, they'd hold it for me.  
Of course it was the day before Joel was taking his written boards, 
and of course it was almost dark out,
and of course it was one of the most dangerous cities!  
(Okay, so I'm not really the type to "worry" about driving at night in a "somewhat" violent town, but I have a husband that it would not fly with and a friend that would have thrown a fit if I had tried to go there by myself)
Thank goodness for brother-in-laws! 
I begged (it didn't take much begging, he actually said "sure" right away) Brett to come with me, and that there would probably be free dinner involved.  He agreed and off we went.  When arrived to the house, it was in the cutest little neighborhood, and the family selling the kitchen were darling (so I guess it wasn't that necessary to bring a bodyguard).  The Mom told me that she had received over 150 emails for the kitchen, and she responded to mine because I'd mentioned that I had a 2 1/2 year old little girl.  I was elated!  It couldn't have worked out better.

9 comments:

angie said...

wow, your so lucky! i love the kitchen, i hope they are still around in a couple years cause i would love one!

The Evansons said...

Those are the cutest ever, I saw them at Costco too a couple Christmas' ago and wanted to buy it for myself, since I had no baby girl at the time. This last Christmas they had one similar but RED! So adorable!!!

Annie said...

I love this kitchen. Kate had it until we moved here and had no room for it. This post is making me miss it! It's adorable and I am so glad that were able to find it and get it in O-town.

btw, are you kidding me about maggie and the big girl bed? amazing! 8-9!!! amazing. can you come do sleep therapy at our house?

Josh said...

I love your picture thingy's you made on the wall! I forget what you call them? May I please order one for Jade's room-- seriously give me a price here I need one ...I want one......

Sarah said...

um.... weird that was not josh who said that, it was me Sarah and I'm just a little confused right now. Very weird.

Janas Bananas said...

I have never seen that kitchen, but I think I am not going to obsess about it, I love it....Glad you found it, I love when I find things and get a deal on top of it..Nothing makes me happier!!!

The Pratts said...

You are a lucky girl! Our Costco in Calgary actually had a red version of that kitchen this past year...I was tempted but Tim told me boys don't need kitchens. Hmm, I guess I'll wait for a girl, and then beg you to sell me your pink one when Mags outgrows it!

P.S. How do you do all those cute borders on all your photos? And how do you put several pictures into one frame? Your blog is always THE CUTEST.

whitney said...

It is sooo cute! I would have been obsessed too. Like
Lindsay I wanted the red one this year. But 2 boys = no kitchen for me. Roman actually loves playing kitchen, but I just couldn't justify it. Where did you get the cute wooden milk bottles and food?

Addi said...

Regan, now I'm obsessed with it. You're right. The pink one is better, well bigger. I love it. I just keep telling myself that I wouldn't have had room for anything bigger...or anything pink.

And I'm obsessed with what you did to the table. I'm converted. I WILL modge podge!