1.07.2009

Winter Wonderland


Brace yourself... 
You're in it for the long haul with this post.

Where to begin?
We went home to Canada (the True North, Strong and Free... and... White) for Christmas and got just what we'd ordered... a white Christmas.  
There was so much snow, there was snow to spare.
We had a fabulous, fun filled, exhausting trip, and I'm pretty sure we fit everything possible into it.
Obviously there are a million pictures, and on the way I'll be adding little comments and a couple of first rate stories.
Let's not waste any time, my storytelling begins before we'd even taken off on the airplane.
Long before Christmas break, we sat down one night to check flights and get everything booked.  We figured I'd fly a couple days earlier because Joel's last exam was Thursday afternoon and mid-week flights are usually cheaper than days closer to the weekend.  However, as we checked, the flights were all the same price and let's be honest, every time I fly home early, I miss Joel like crazy and wish I hadn't.  After each trip Joel will say "you're not flying without me any more, nothing but trouble comes from it".  So "yahoo", it worked out perfectly that we had no reason to fly me and Mags earlier.  I distinctly remember Joel saying "this will work out so much better, I can help you with Mags and flying home will be smooth."  

(We didn't knock on wood)
(We should have)

Finals week rolled around and I began getting ready to go :
  • Every crook and cranny cleaned : Check
  • All laundry washed, ironed and folded: Check
  • Paper work all organized: Check
  • Presents all bagged and ready to go: Check
I was well on my way to an easy organized departure.

Thursday (departure day) arrived and I was feeling pretty good about how "put together" I was for the trip.  Everything was ready to go, and I just had to wait for Joel to get home so we could take off to the airport.
Joel got home just before 5:00 p.m. and we had to be at the airport by 6:00 p.m.
He was a bit frazzled as we loaded the Trailblazer and kept saying
 "we've got to get going", "we've got to get going".  
Emer was driving us and Brett was on the same flight as us.
We were loaded up and off we went.
When we arrived at the airport Joel said to me, "you just watch Maggie, I'll take care of everything else" (cause he's the man (he didn't say this last little part, but I know he was thinkin' it.)  
I agreed, said thanks and bye to Emer and took Maggie inside.
Not soon after Brett came wondering in with all of his stuff, and after some time went by, we both started watching the door for Joel... no Joel.
I went back outside to find him just standing by the curb.
"What's up?"
I mean, it's a pretty logical question when the guy that was freaking out about time, is just chillin' by the road.
He then proceeded to tell me that he'd left the binder with all our "paperwork" (passports, visa papers, etc. all the stuff that we need to cross the border... no biggie) in the car, and Emer was flipping around to bring it back. 
 That Emer... he's such a champ.
So I go back inside to wait, and sure enough Joel comes rushing through the doors a couple of minutes later.  We go to check-in and begin checking all our bags (don't even get me started about the charge per bag now... $90 later... hmph.)  As we are in the check-in process, suddenly Joel's face falls and he moans "oh man, I left Maggie's car seat in the car"... the next thing out of his mouth is... 
"we'll just have to make due"... 
"MAKE DUE!"... are you kidding me?  How do you "make due" without a car seat for your 2 1/2 year old?
Obviously that wasn't going to fly with me, and I firmly (he does NOT like that I just wrote the word firm, so when you read the word firmly... I don't mean bossy, or like I was brow beating my husband...  I was simply firm in my opinion that we could not "make due" without the car seat), told him, no matter how humiliating, that he'd have to call Emer... again and ask him to flip around... again.

(I've just read what is written so far and it's a mouth full... 
and this is only the very beginning of the trip... sorry)

So... anyway.  
That Emer... he is SUCH a champ
He came back around and we got the car seat, and you better believe he did not drive away again until he made us do a full inspection of the vehicle and confirm that there was nothing remaining that we'd be in need of.  We're so annoying and lame.  
We checked in, went through security, boarded and flew home without any kind of hitches.  Wahoo!
Now, Joel's going to argue some of the facts (and I call them facts, because they are not fiction) but he really did lose his head that day.  When we landed, and as we approached baggage claim Joel actually said again... "you just watch Maggie, I'll grab the bags" 
(the saddest part was that he was really just trying to make my life easier by taking care of everything)
and I actually listened and didn't watch what he was doing.  
My Dad picked us up and we had a great time catching up on the drive to Joel's parents house.  Once we arrived, I unloaded Mags, and Joel, my Dad and Brett grabbed all the bags.
It wasn't until we had said goodbye to Dad, were settled in our room, and I was looking for something that I realized that we were a bag short. 
 A BAG SHORT!
I ran down the stairs and asked Joel why we were a bag short.  He did NOT have an explanation for me, and by this point he was starting to think that he'd lost his mind.  We called my Dad, who informed us that there was NOT an extra bag in the back, but we did however forget Maggie's car seat in the car... seriously... we were a sight.
The next morning my Dad arranged to drop off Maggie's car seat where we could pick it up, and we called the airport to find out that "yes indeed they did have a bag with our name on it".  

I guess we should at least be happy with the fact that we arrived with all limbs attached.

So that was the first day of our trip... how do you like that?

Once things settled down, and we had all necessities, we began to enjoy the holidays.
There was plenty of playing in the snow. 
(digging a cave, sledding, snow fights with forts, and for some, eating it was also on the agenda)
There was plenty of good food.
Without question, plenty of great company.
And plenty... plenty of driving.






We celebrated Grandpa's birthday while we were home, and Jack and Ty decided to throw a party of their own.  When we were all getting ready to go and saying our goodbyes, Josh went ahead and started the van and loaded the twins.  He then ran back into the house to get Hill and Beau.  When he went back to the van and tried to open the door, he quickly realized that the twinners had locked the doors from the inside.  Kinda inconvenient seeing how the keys to unlock the van were "in" the van "in" the ignition.  The boys then proceeded to turn on the DVD player, crank the radio and rummage through ever bag in the car.  They were literally hanging from the roof at one point... the little rascals.  Josh kept trying to convince them to come to the driver's door and push the unlock button.  They had other plans.  Jack would wonder right up to the driver's window, look Josh right in the eye through the window (Josh was calling for him to push the button and pointing at it) and shake his head "no" at him.  
It. Was. Hysterical.
Josh eventually had to call AMA and have them unlock the car for him.  
An hour later... the boys were given a stern lecture about obedience.






Christmas Eve we attended the traditional Live Pageant.  This year was extra fun because Josh was actually in it playing one of the wise men (see picture below... he's the one on the far right).
No matter how many times I watch the nativity I tear up... there is nothing more moving.



Christmas Eve: PJ elf delivered a bag of packages full of pyjamas for every one "big" and "small".



Don't ask... 
a tradition all of it's own... and let's just say Dane had no problem getting acquainted with it.





We went to hang out at Auntie BJ's one night and mischief followed.
We had all just finished eating and were visiting when Hillary called for help.  I got up to see what the problem was, when she informed me that "Ty and Maggie are playing in the toilet water".  
Ew.  
No biggie, it's not like someone had just peed in it or anything... 
oh wait... 
yeah they had!  
Beau had just finished going potty (and apparently Jenny is working on a reward system to get Beau to embrace the whole "flush when your done" concept) and Mags and Ty thought it would be fun to have a water fight.  Let's just say both kids had a good scrubbing in the tub after that little episode.






At the Anderson family dinner we have a yearly white elephant gift exchange.  You can only steal twice and then the gift becomes frozen.  
Well... last year somebody gifted a Nerd cookie jar, and everyone was trying to get rid of it.  My Mom and Scott ended up with it, and we all had  good laugh... 
This year... sure enough it showed it's ugly face again.  Matt and Sadie were the lucky recipients.
 (hence the picture on the far left) 
(I have to explain the order quick so that you understand just how it went down.  We went from oldest to youngest or unless someone took yours and you had to go again).
Kwynne had gotten a box full of yummy treats, and then someone stole them from her, so she had another turn to pick.  As she went to get another present my Mom kept prodding her to take the Nerd.  Kwynne was not thrilled about the idea and was going to ignore Mom's suggestion, until Mom became exraordinarily loud.  With a wrinkled nose Kwynne asked Matt for the jar.  Once she sat down again, Mom told her to check inside the lid.  It took some effort, but suddenly she found some paper rolled and taped to the top.  
It was $100 bill!  
Matt was ticked.  
Kwynne was thrilled!  
(for only about 5 seconds)
Soon as we called out for the next persons turn, good 'ol Sadie jumped out of her seat and charged Kwynne for the jar.  To say the least, Matt was once again victorious and Kwynne was left poor once again. 
(hence the picture on the far right)





Joel's first time playing Wii fit.  He's good at almost everything he tries and it drives my competitive side crazy.  He just had to step on the thing and he was challenging records.



The day after we flew back to San Francisco our first year of school the twins were born.  
The next year we (when I say "we" I mean "Joel", I have people ask me all the time if I'm in dental school too, because I say "we" so much) started school a couple days before their 1st birthday.
It was so fun to finally get to be there for their 2nd birthday... they really are hitting the terrible (not terrible because they're pretty darling... more mischievous) twos at a full sprint.


Maggie's first time sleeping in hair curlers... Thanks Jenny!



How do I even say how much I love this girl and her hospitality?  When we come home for breaks we'll invade her home for weeks at a time and she is nothing but the perfect hostess. 
Thank-you.  Thank-you.  Thank-you.


The three stooges.


I should also mention how fun it was to go to Fairmont, even though I don't have any pictures of it yet (Kwynne!)  Mom and Scott rented some condos and we all drove up to spend some time together.  We had a great time playing in the snow, bowling, swimming and just spending time together.

It was a crazy busy break... but so much fun.

I should also mention that we saw 15+ cars/trucks (one had actually been on fire from rolling) in the ditch as we drove all over to see family.  One night we drove on the worst roads I've ever seen in my life.  I'm happy to say that we were never one of the 15+ cars.

Once we arrived back in San Francisco, there was a lot of "the picture above" going on!

3 comments:

Jennyanne said...

Thank you for posting this. I'm crying.

I have had zero time to report anything about Christmas, the twins birthday, you captured everything do perfectly in words and photography. I love you and miss you like crazy right now.
Seriously thank you. I wish I could copy it and stick it on my blog ; )

I got your message the other night- we move next weekend and everything has literally taken a back seat to the move. Please call anytime - I just might not get back to you until next week. : (
I'm so glad we broke this house in in a real way this xmas. It makes me feel like I got my money out of it or something ; ) I'm sad to leave it behind with all the memories we've made.
I need a holiday. Maybe we'll come visit. I wanna sleep with my Mags in her big girl bed!!

Kristy said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip. I love the story about the airport...my parents will love it even more I think.

Brian and Emily said...

Fun to remember good times together. Wish we could have spent more time together. Love you guys!